April 10, 2012

10 April 2012: Malaysia

I love the humidity. I'm sitting out on the balcony of my hotel room and just chilling. It smells smoky and a little like hotel soap and mosquito repellent. I watch the lightning flickering on and off in the distance. Listening to the frogs in the background, I begin to think that I really am falling in love with tropical countries. I know I've only been to two of them, but they're bloody amazing.

I need to come back here so I can stop and explore whenever I like - talk to the locals (or at least attempt to :P) and take photos of the fruit markets, abounding in durian and watermelon, the motorcycle and scooter shops and the old crumbling buildings. I'd stay in a small apartment, closer to the people, so that I don't feel so much the outsider. Given the poverty I'm going to be facing tomorrow when we land in India, it seems a little luxurious to be staying in such an up market hotel.

For the moment though, I shall enjoy it. The air conditioned room with king size beds and hot clean(ish) water, and a balcony all to myself that I can sit on even after it's dark, watching the lights in the distance and trying to capture the feeling of utter peace with my words.

**On the taxi on the way to the hotel, we met a really nice young Australian couple who are moving to Cambodia to start a children's home. If you're feeling like a good person, you should check out their website, faithmissionsasia.org :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work. Is that the sweet cigarettes you were smelling?

Hoping you are all safe and are finding lots of ideas flooding your notebook.
jb

Rhianna Nelson said...

Haha I dunno. It could've been? I know they're pretty big on clove cigarettes over there!

Hopefully it'll be my notebook flooding with my ideas soon, for the moment it's still all in my head!